Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Small pleasures in life

It's nice when cool things happen, isn't it. It's quite rare!
Like, every morning, I go down to get my 8.13 train to work, and it is always late (well except for that day when it snowed heavily and I stayed at home). Seriously, it is always late. The slightest bit of rain, and it causes havoc. (Mind you, I've never had a journey as horrendous as some of my old tube journies. Jesus.)
So what a pleasure, yesterday morning, to get to the station and find that my train 'had a fault' so it would be 'going non-stop to London Bridge!' Yes, that means knocking 15 minutes off the journey, by not going to every little stop, and that means no over-crowding and no hysterical women going 'can you move down please'. I mean, there was a hysterical Spanish woman who obviously missed the announcement and didn't know what was going on - but I could live with that.
Another small pleasure is reading free comics. I can borrow some freebies from the Books Dept downstairs. Which means I don't have to buy crap like 52. Honestly, I gather it's doing okay, but the art is so cruddy, and I honestly don't care about the characters. You can have a whole issue about 'Elongated Man' versus 'Felix Faust' and I guess I'm supposed to be excited and impressed, but I had no clue what was going on. And now they killed ****, and I thought she was actually a good character with a lot of potential.

2 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

I would love a job that would let me read comics for free; so much of Marvel/DC output nowadays isn't worth wasting the money on.

Mart said...

it is a nice privilege. when i'm in FP, i see comics that tempt me (like teen titans) and i'm like, 'no, if i wait i can read it at work'. we even get a free box of DCs a bit later on, which we all fight over (i make sure i get Stormwatch!).
it's nice to get some of the marvels too - it's a bit criminal that they spread out so much over all the x-titles, for example, and con people into buying them all.
however, believe it or not, as nice as it sounds, sometimes i'll borrow 20 or so comics and i really can't even be bothered going thru them - you can just tell they're crap!
mind you, if i hadn't got my hands on a free Hawkgirl, i wouldn't have found out how good it is - really amazing artwork - like Alex Maleev's.