Thursday, March 22, 2007

Down with Technology!

Whoever invented technology should be shot!!!
O Men 2.3 was pretty much ready 2 weeks ago, but I've spent that time tinkering with the issue and getting it right - a touch of Photoshop 'tippex' here a touch there. You get to the stage where as much as you love an issue, you start to get sick of the sight of it too!
And this week I've tried to get a PDF of the issue ready for the printer, and of course I totally messed it all up, and in the end I had to get my pal Marcus to sort it out for me (who is stressed out enough at work as it is). I mean, who knew all the jpegs had to be attached to the document. Certainly not me, lol. I don't think i even know what a jpeg is ha ha
But now it's at the printers and hopefully it's all okay. Some of the page numbers got clipped off from where I positioned the pages, which is a bugger as I am such a perfectionist (and knowing me, I'll probably letter them all back on when I get the copies - it's been known to happen before) - but at this stage I just want to get it out to the readers.
And I won't even start on the fact that I wrote the script for issue 2.4 in Birmingham on my parents' computer and for some reason it hasn't copied to my memory stick so I'm hoping they can find it for me, or the fact that I put about 200 songs on my new ipod and they're all on there but won't play for some reason!
So boo to technology! Boooooo!

4 comments:

JamieB said...

"it's a bad workman..." :-)

I only hope that the franking machine is the Titan postroom doesn't break down :-)

Looking forward to 2.3

Oh, and Mister I-don't-understand-the-Justice-Society-of-America: it's a pity, because JSA#4 is a real cracker -- muscular script from Geoff Johns, eye-popping art from Dale Eaglesham and colours to die for from Jeromy [sic] Cox.

Mart said...

Oi I send O Men out with my own stamps! Well, except to other countries (like Japan). And I nick the envelopes sometimes.
But who knows? Maybe the PDF of 2.4 is all wrong and the issue will never get printed.
JSA just confuses me. DC confuses me.

thekelvingreen said...

Geoff Johns is an arrogant, delusional, hack!

Martin, have you actually pitched anything to Marvel or DC? Because it annoys me a little that you're doing better work than the alleged professionals. Bah!

Mart said...

I pitch things now and again. It's a bit of a lottery. YOu don't hear back from most people. Karen Berger from Vertigo always emails me back with a polite no-thank-you.
'Tharg' at 2000AD always had constructive criticism, and I even knew someone who worked on that mag once who invited me to pitch, but I could never think of anything. In fact, I was going to pitch my Asylum idea (one of the new O Men characters), but as I found out, there was already a story called Asylum.
I think, when I get the next O Men collection printed up, I might send that to a bunch of people.
I think, like many people though, I'm happy doing my own thing.
What would I do though? I don't think my art's quite up to scratch, and writing doesn't really come all that naturally to me. I mean, I consider writing O Men to be cheating a bit, as I have around a year or so to think up each issue, because it's all so slow. Not sure I could write on demand like the pro's do.