Friday, February 9, 2007

Friends Reunited

I've had a lot of people tell me about old school-friends getting in touch thru Friends Reunited - and I must say, I always get very jealous! However, it has now happened to me!
(Well actually, 'Sarah Thurlby', a girl I gave a Blue Peter valentine's card to in infant school, got in touch a couple of years back, but that was only a brief encounter!)
But no, one of my best friends from school has got in touch - James. There was a group of us that were pretty much best mates at school - James, 'Moomin', 'Bowl', 'Willy' (erm) - and we were all into T'pau and Moonlighting and really silly stuff. But it all went weird towards the end. I think it's safe to say that it all really fell apart. One of the catalysts was James joining the 'cool crowd' and leaving the 'Saddos' (I can't think why!).
So anyway, James has got in touch and it's so surreal. We're actually having really fun email sessions, and it's all come flooding back and we're getting on really well. He explained why he drifted off and says he has felt bad about that - all these years (16?) - and even explained why he did.
And he has filled me in on ALL the gossip - the scandals that were going on while I was there. I cannot believe it. Honestly, I must have been so naive. I must have been walking round with a blindfold on. Maybe it's the best way to be...
Bizarre.

1 comment:

James said...

Friends Reunited has a lot to answer for ;)

Mr Eden is correct- it went bizarre and all 'falling-apart'.. like 6 seasons of Ally McBeal in one term of sixth-form.

T'Pau and Moonlighting- that really dates it.

But it certainly is good to be back in touch. And although we have been incommunicado for 16 years, it turns out we both have the same Tori Amos fetish (although Martin's is extreme and he needs to see somebody medical about it).

We have to thank our lucky shiny stars for Friends Reunited though- without the internet the British viewing public might have had to endure a tearful James and Martin brought back together by a dodgy-hipped Cilla, Surprise Surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes...