Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Dark Tower

There's a new comic out at the moment, based on Stephen King's Dark Tower books. As many people know, I love Kingy - in fact it goes beyond simple love - he is the only author whose books I know I will enjoy and I normally devour them in about 2 or 3 days (well, except Lisey's Story).
It crossed my mind to get the Dark Tower comic, but I don't think I will. Partly because they are based on elements of the novels, and I want to read them again at some point, and I hate having things visualised for me. It's kind of a strange idea for a comic. I think the old Roland stuff is a bit dull, and I'd much rather have seen comic adaptations of It etc (cos most of the screen adaptations SUCKED).
In general, I thought the Dark Tower books were quite poor. For a supposed seven-part epic, they were nowhere near as epic as The Stand. I'd like to read them again at some point, but I think it's too close to my previous read at the moment. Plus if I tried to read them again, I'd want to read the other tie-in novels first, like Salem's Lot and Insomina. I do find the DT books really slow though. I dunno, maybe I'll get more out of them the second time, like with Cell.
Shame though, Jae Lee, the Dark Tower comic artist, is one of my fave artists.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooooooooh Kingy will be at New York Comic Con. Want me to tell him anything :)

Mart said...

just...ASK HIM TO MARRY ME!!!!!!!!!!!!