Monday, June 23, 2008

Rose??

As most people who've read this blog know, I don't like the new Dr Who. From the moment Micky got his hands stuck on that plastic bin in the first Ecclestone episode - it just seemed like they may as well just move it to CBBC. I used to love Who when I was growing up - but this ain't it! I miss the cliffhangers, I miss the half-hour six-part stories, I miss being terrified (and the Daleks have been so over-used now that they ain't scary). For a show that inspired so many sci-fi shows, it's now just very derivative of everything else. Mind you, I don't really like UK dramas anyway - esp sci-fi - UK creators just can't take it seriously. The acting is appalling and - in Who's instance - the incidental music is overwhelming and horrible - if they can't take it seriously, why should we?
And yet people still watch it with rose-coloured spectacles. It's as if they've been brain-washed by the Ood or something. Whenever we discuss the crapness of an episode in the office, the Who fanatics will hear none of it! It's as if they even make excuses for it!
But of course, I still dip in and out of it, hoping it'll get better. But David Tennant still gurns and over-acts to within an inch of his life...
But the main reason for this rant... Is no-one at all perturbed by Billie Piper's acting in the latest episode (Turn Left? What happened? What was up with the mouth? The Whovians won't even admit there was a problem! ("Oh I didn't notice because I watched it on i-player".) Am I the only one? Is this some sort of conspiracy to drive me mad??? But honestly, Rose is great (I did like Martha too, but then she decided to prove she can't act when she came back this year), but that just wasn't Rose... If I was a fan, I'd have been very disappointed.

2 comments:

JamieB said...

Of course, we don't yet know if she is Rose (at least the Rose we know...).

But, yes, there was something seriously odd going on with BP's performance in this -- she spoke most of her dialogue through clenched teeth. I've read speculation on the internet that BP simply took a while to get used to being Rose again, but that explanation would require that they shot her scenes in sequence, and I'm not sure that this is the case.

Mart said...

I think it would be very clever if she wasn't Rose - but I'm not sure they are that clever lol...

How difficult is it for her to become Rose? She can't be that different to Billie.