Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Heart Shaped Box

Ah, Stephen King. My favourite author - but when I pick up one of his new novels I just know i'm going to be disappointed. Cell started off so, so good, but veered off into really disappointing directions; Blaze just seemed weak; and as for Lisey's Story - the guy just needs an editor. It didn't help that i was reading I Am Legend recently - which is so concise - Lisey's is just such waffle, so much so that it's easy to almost miss something when it actually happens.
So he's got a new novel coming out soon - Duma Key - and I can't say I'm that excited by it...
In the meantime, I'm reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill - SK's son - and it really is very good. It's actually very creepy and has the rare honour of actually sending a shiver or two down my spine. I mean, the only drawback is that it's quite a focused novel, featuring just a handful of characters - whereas I like things with a bit more scope (ah, Needful Things, Tommyknockers, The Stand)... That's kind of what puts me off SK's Thinner, to be honest - the narrow scope.
Still - good stuff.

1 comment:

Rol said...

I keep meaning to get around to this. Hoped I might get it bought for Christmas, but it never happened, so now I'm going to have to spend my own money!