Wednesday, January 2, 2008

100 Bullshits

I was round a mate’s house the other day and managed to borrow the first 11 volumes of 100 Bullets (it’s cool having graphic novel-reading friends). It’s one of those series that is supposed to be good but I’ve never got into.
Well I’m on book 11 now and I can’t really see what all the fuss is about whatsoever! It hasn’t gripped me in any way, and I don’t understand how the series has lasted so long or why it’s so popular.
I think one of the series’ problems, and this is why I can’t understand why people like it, is it just doesn’t work issue by issue. It works better collected (although it’s still dull).
Another problem is that most of the characters are indistinguishable from each other, and then there’s the problem that it’s just so slooooow, and the emphasis seems more on indecipherable dialogue than anything actually happening.
Am I in the minority?
Having said that, the art is really spectacular, and I’d love to see the guy working on some kind of mainstream title - that’s what we need now I think, a fresh take on things. He’d work wonders on an X-book.
Like many comics though, maybe I’ll go back to the series in a few years time and prefer it more.

1 comment:

Rol said...

I like it, but latterly more for the art than the story which gets less interesting the further it wanders away from the central concept. I could happily watch Risso drawing the phone book though.