Monday, December 6, 2010

Sp-hand-ex 3 review

There's a lovely review of Spandex 3 here, by Kelvin Green.
http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/12914878177694.htm
Kelvin has been reviewing my comics since the O Men days, and I always look forward to hearing what he says about them. I think we are on a similar wavelength, so if he 'gets it', I know I've done something right. I think Kelvin was the guy who gave me the famous 10 out of 10 for O Men 24 in Comics International, which Dez Skinn reduced to a 9.
Kelvin doesn't mince his words though, and he will criticise things where criticism is due. His latest one points out problems with my hand-drawing and perspective.
I've always known these things are problems for me (and feet!) and I hope I've improved a bit over the years, but also, for me, my 'policy' is that the story is the most important thing, and the drawing has a style, and I hope the readers just 'goes with the flow'.
But one thing that the review has made me do is actually make a conscious decision to study drawing hands (and feet!) because, for some reason, it's something I've never done - so maybe it's time to sort out where I'm going wrong.
(Incidentally, I am seethingly jealous of the way Jaime Hernandez draws hands. How does he do it?? Is there nothing the guy can't draw??)

7 comments:

Rol said...

As I understand it, from artistic types, hands and feet are just about the hardest things to draw anatomy wise. There are major name pros who have serious problems getting them right. So I wouldn't feel too bad about it. But there's nothing wrong with trying to improve either.

In case you missed my own review, I loved the latest issue. Best yet.

Mart said...

I hadn't seen the review Rol - thanks so much!!

Dez Skinn said...

Reduced from a perfect 10 because the next one could have been even better...

Mart said...

Dez!!!
Fancy you reading this!

dave said...

I hate drawing hands and feet, which is why I do so many headshots. I learnt it all from ROb Liefeld and his amazing world of ankleless triangular hooves behind clouds of dust.

dave said...

I hate drawing hands and fwwt, which is why I always either do close ups or have people's hands in their pockets.

thekelvingreen said...

Crikey, you get all sorts around here, don't you?