Thursday, October 9, 2008

My life in comics!


I copied Rol on this...

Do you remember your first comic/series?
I guess it would have been Beano or Nutty really.
But US-wise, I think it was Peter Parker… I quite liked it, but wasn’t blown away. It was issue 77, he fought the Gladiator. So then I tried again with some Byrne FFs (253 and 254) – didn’t understand them.
I persevered though and I think the next Peter Parker storyline totally grabbed me – Spidey versus Doc Ock with the Black Cat in hospital (I was so worried for Felicia lol) - and I soon became the addict I am now.

Favourite regular series right now?
Well I only consider myself to be buying a handful of titles on a regular basis… I enjoy Powers, but it’s not as good as it used to be… I really like Walking Dead, but Kirkman doesn’t half mess it up sometimes. He’s really dragged the last few issues out…
I guess the prize has to go to Fantastic Four. I love Millar’s writing, Hitch’s art is beautiful – it’s an engaging, exciting read… I can’t believe everyone’s seems to think it’s so average. It’s art, it’s a classic in the making.

Comic book character you only recently discovered/started reading?
Hmm, I dunno. I guess I read a lot more manga now. Death Note etc.
Oh wait, hang on - update! - I just bought the first two BRPD trades. I'm not a fan of Hellboy at all (as much as I love Mignola), but the supporting characters seem really interesting, esp Johan Struass (who looked shit in the 2nd movie)

If you could draw/write one character who would it be?
Without a shadow of a single doubt, Crazy Jane.
It would have been Rogue if they hadn’t made her so generic, confusing and boring over the past 15 years or so.

Are you a fan of the big multi-issue crossover extravaganzas?
I’ve actually got nothing against them. I loved Secret Wars… Civil War was a bit stupid but I loved the outcome – The Initiative.
The writing is letting down the current stuff. Final Crisis is uneventful and confusing. Secret Invasion could be amazing, but they forgot to do anything with it.
Nah, I don’t mind them, as long as they’re done well. But when are they ever done well?

Last comic book series that you dropped and why?
I guess it’d have to be the X-books, but I’ve been in and out of them for a while now. They just lack Claremont’s vision – as confusing as it was.

Favourite character?
There are so many… Vision, Valkyrie, er, lots more…
But I think at the end of the day, it’s probably Daredevil (even though I’m not reading it any more because I find the current series boring, and I’m also bored of the continuous Matt Murdock-revealed-to-be-Daredevil-in-the-press stuff).

Are you a DC or a Marvel fan?
Marvel, all the way. I just grew up on them. I like the more down to Earth nature of the characters. I will never ever for the life of me understand certain DC characters – like the JSA for instance. I don’t know who they are or why they’re still around etc etc etc.

Is Watchmen the movie going to be as good as the comic book?
I really, really want it to be… But they never are, are they. The trailer is stunning. But I’m just not gonna hold my breath.

Favourite comic book movie?
X2 comes close, but really it has to be Superman 2.

Worst comic book movie?
Oh, Batman and Robin… I almost walked out of the cinema. Although having said that, when I catch it on Channel Five I get strangely drawn in.

Character you’d like to see in a movie?
Alpha Flight!!!

Series that you’d like to see on TV?
Invisibles, Invisibles, Invisibles!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Black Cat/Doc Ock story was the second I remember, straight after the Hobgoblin origin from Amazing. Ahh, Felicia Hardy...

I've always boycotted Batman and Robin after being scarred by the nipple infested horror of Batman Forever. You have to draw the line somewhere, and mine's staying this side of Schumacher and Halle Berry's Catwoman.

Rol said...

That Black Cat / Doc Ock / Owl storyline remains the best Doc Ock story I've ever read, and I hold it up as an example whenever anyone slags off Bill Mantlo (which they regularly do, despite his recent fate).

Mart said...

what happened to Bob?

Rol said...

Bill. He was in a car accident in the early 90's, then a coma for a year, after which he was placed in a care home because he needs round-the-clock care & supervision.