Friday, February 16, 2007

3 things about Music

1) What is up with bands whose names are just 'the something' or 'insert plural'. the klaxons, the long blondes, the gossip, the view. there are a lot of them, but for some reason i can't think of any more. just listen to XFM and you'll hear 100 of them in a half-hour. it just seems lazy and unoriginal and instantly turns me off.
2) I hate the new Take That. I never had a problem with them in the 90s, but now they are just repulsive. They all look like tramps with their horrible lanky hair, and Gary Barlow makes me laugh, now that he's turned into Mr Blobby. Each new video becomes a case of 'how fat has Gary got now?'. I saw their new video this morning and Gary is nowhere to be seen - apparently he was too fat to fit into his video suit. And that bloody Patience song! Honestly, I've never heard a single more bloody boring song in my whole life! Take that, Take That.
3) I am going to a concert tonight - my first one in aaaages. I am seeing Regina Spektor. I'm not that excited really, I haven't listened to her in aaaaages. I am kind of excited about going to a concert though. I do find them a bit boring - lots of hanging around - but the thing is, I've missed out on so many concerts recently, purely because by the time I heard they were on, they were all sold out. Was gutted to miss Kristin Hersh the other week and Nina Nastasia too. Mind you, I have no one to go with anyway, as my partner and i don't share many of the same musical interests!

2 comments:

JamieB said...

Ooh, be sure and report back re: Regina Spektor gig. I've enjoyed both of the albums of hers that I've heard.
I digging Nancy Elizabeth Cunliffe right now; and a weird and wonderful session that People Like Us did for the last ever "Mixing It". Oh, and Chabrier's Briseis -- can't get enough of that at the moment.

Calling your band "The..." is terribly retro, isn't it? Old School is with us once more.

Mart said...

i will. her last album was good.
not heard of nancy cunliff!