Saturday, March 3, 2007

Leaving 'Virgin Media'

Today I spent most of the day trying to switch to Sky, from the evil Virgin Media. What a palaver! So I've managed to join Sky and they're installing next Sunday. I need to join BT (and if the house hasn't already had BT that's gonna cost me £130 - but apparently it has...) but i haven't had much luck with their 'sales team'. Apparently I get a free 'wireless router' for my Broadband.
As for 'Virgin Media', I reckon I tried for 2 hours to get through so I could cancel, and I had no luck. I did get through once but then the lovely lady transferred me to a dead end.
It is a shame though. I've never had a problem with Virgin Media, the artists formerly known as Telewest, and they have been very, very good to me. Sigh.
In a way though, this whole thing has done me a favour - by joining Sky I'm gonna get Broadband for just a fiver extra a month. yay!

4 comments:

Rol said...

I'm not on cable, so never been a Telewest / Virgin Media customer... but I do think Murdoch is a complete and utter See You Next Tuesday, and I wouldn't give him a penny ever, no matter how much I might want to watch the new series of Lost or 24. In fact, I hear Lost is shedding viewers in the States like my girfriend's cats are shedding their winter coats, and if it ends up getting cancelled at the end of Season 3, I'll laugh for a week after Murdoch spent all that money stealing it off Channel 4.

I hope he explodes in a bizarre case of Spontaneous Human Combustion very soon. ;-)

Mart said...

Oops so you don't like him then!
Yes, Lost isn't doing too well, which is a shame. The writers need to buck their ideas up, big time.

JamieB said...

I'd be careful with that wireless business, if I were you. I don't know what the Sky set-up is, but somebody I know (no names, no packdrill...) has had free broadband access for the past couple of years thanks to one of his neighbours and an unsecured wireless connection. As was made clear in the telly the other week, this somebody I know could download all sorts of illegal nonsense, and it would be the neighbour who would get the blame.

And, yes, I noticed that requirement for a BT line in the Sky package (you basically have to connect your sky box up to the phone line -- ooh, err...). Doesn't stop you making phone calls, of course, but it does kinda puts a dent in the price advantage if you're having to fork out £11+ a month on top of the Sky charges for a phone line you haven't needed until now.

Mart said...

it's all cool. i'm looking at paying just an extra fiver a month just to get broadband on top of what I used to have. not bad!

and yes, i know about the wireless thing - i will be locking mine as soon as i get it!