Thursday, March 8, 2007

Getting back into comics

It's hard to give up comics when there's some good stuff out there. There's no way I can give up Powers and Walking Dead, and Spider Woman is coming up soon. And I bought some amazing comics today:
Civil War Initiative: I have to say, I am actually really excited about Marvel's Initiative! I thought Civil War was kind of stupid and far-fetched and pretty uneventful to be honest, but the Initiative is an inspired idea - a registered superteam in every State (am already loving seeing Shooting Star again - is that her name?). Will be cool to see some characters return from Comics Limbo, as I'm sure a lot will. In fact, I'm amazed Marvel haven't come up with half a dozen new Initiative books already - which makes me wonder if it was a last-minute idea. And it's a shame Civil War couldn't have addressed this more, or added a few issues on at the end to set it all up. It does all seem a bit under-planned right now.
The new Initiative issue was cool - nice to see the new Omega Flight (although surely such classic characters as Puck, Heather and Shaman can't stay dead for long - and I still haven't quite forgiven Bendis for killing them), really nice art from Silvestri - all in all, a suprisingly good package.
Mighty Avengers - I thought I'd treat myself to this and it was a really cool issue. Amazing art. Funny how Bendis is trying to re-introduce thought balloons - it seemed really awkward. Ares worked well, which surprised me. Not liking the Tigra-dissing though!!! (or was that in the INitiative?) Not quite sure if I'll carry on buying this book. I bought the first 25 or so Avengers issues and I kinda could have lived without them...
Cap America - well i had to get this one after all the hype. Poor old Cap. A cool comic, Sharon Carter is a great character.
So Marvel's looking pretty good at the moment, which does restore the faith a bit, after it seemed to lose its way a bit. I still hate certain developments like Storm marrying Black Panther - and Storm just isn't the Storm I grew up with right now - so bland. It's nice to see new character emerge though - such as Penance.
Funny how Marvel are putting so into the Avengers - almost to the detriment of the X-titles, which I think are struggling a bit (is anyone still reading that boring Uncanny story???). And nice that they are trying to compete with DC more. 52? Boring. D-list characters are still D-list characters, even when you put them in a year-long event comic. So bored of Black Adam...

8 comments:

JamieB said...

Yes, interesting that the focus has moved away from a bunch of rebels like the X-Men to US-government-sanctioned teams in the Avengers and friends. A sign of the times...?

thekelvingreen said...

The Avengers are the hot new thing. Mark Millar (modestly) attributes it to the success of The Ultimates, saying that it was the title that showed the Avengers had something going for them.

The X-Men are getting their big push this year, with a new Astonishing team (no one's saying who yet), and a big X-crossover. Hopefully it'll be better than the constant crossovers the X-books had in the 90's.

Rol said...

Although I agree Millar bungled the main CW book (he can't seem to get the right voices for most of Marvel's big guns - that's less noticable in the Ultimate universe where they're supposed to sound different, but there's no way Spider-Man would have ever said some of the rubbish Millar had him spouting in CW), I'm enjoying the aftermath greatly.

Marvel are weeing all over DC from a great height at the moment. If it wasn't for Morrison, DC might as well shut up shop.

Mart said...

I think the Avengers are still relatively boring as characters - but it is all being done really well.

I thought DC were doing well? I mean, I don't like what they are doing, but this new weekly thing seems to be on the back of 52's 'success'

JamieB said...

I think all the good things that DC are doing -- and I don't think it's just Morrison -- are being overshadowed thanks to the impact that CW has had. And I think things are likely to remain that way for some time *if* Marvel follow through on everything they've set in motion post-CW. And I say that as a die-hard DC man, who is loving Manhunter, the new JSA, All-Star Supes, Jeff's Smith's SHAZAM...

Mart said...

i am worried that the Initiative is poorly planned though. it seems almost like an after-thought. I love it - i want to know who's in all the teams!!!

JamieB said...

Wait -- aren't Millar and Hitch doing an X-men title, or have I got that completely wrong? Millar announced some new project on millarworld. I forget what, truth to tell.

thekelvingreen said...

MIllar and Hitch are working on a new secret project, and it's apparently where the idea for Civil War came from, but that's all we know for now.