Monday, March 19, 2007

Infinite Cri-shit

This weekend I gave the Infinite Crisis trade a read - something I've been meaning to do for ages.
Oh dear.
I know there were mixed opinions about this one but, to me, it just felt like reading a really confusing jigsaw puzzle. And it really should have been longer and more stretched out - 12 issues would have been much better. I can't believe they crammed so much in! 20+ panels per page! Bendis would have spun this one out for 100 issues!
So all in all, not impressed. It's quite fun to play 'spot your favourite character in the background' but sometimes the art is way too tiny and detailed - it's actually hard to take it all in.
So I do think it contains all the elements of a bad crossover event thingy. Speaking of which, Secret Wars got a right old panning didn't it - but i re-read it last year and really enjoyed it! I remember reading it when i was a kid - well actually, this was before i discovered comic shops (the only place to get limited series) so i only ever actually read the build-up - when all the heroes disappeared - and then the secret wars promo poster was good enough for me!
one thing though - so all the heroes actually DIE in issue 11, and then get brought back to life in issue 12 - and that's it - no one seems actually that bothered that their life was brought to an end lol. Funny.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mart Your story? Very interesting......

thekelvingreen said...

I've been wondering about Secret Wars. It got me into comics too (although I'd been reading Spidey beforehand), but it's not the best story. I wonder if Civil War, despite being rubbish, will have that same effect and bring in the kids?

Mart said...

a lot of people slag secret wars off, but to me it was this huge event. i actually always thought it was the first crossover, but i guess that was crisis. when i re-read secret wars i was actually quite gripped and like 'ooh what's gonna happen to wasp etc' lol

without wanting to sound like a broken record, lol, i think civil war - and the initiative - would be more successful if it was all set up properly now. i want to know who is in each team!

JamieB said...

I don't remember why now, but at the time I thought that Secret Wars was just a promotional comic [series] designed to flog action figures. So I never paid it any mind.

In a sense Infinite Crisis was more screwed up than even Civil War because the PTB at DC kept changing their mind about the outcome (bring back Earth 2, don't bring back Earth 2...etc.) And now there's talk of them changing the outcome again in either 52 or Countdown.

Mart said...

yes, secret wars was made up purely to promote the action figures (which i bought)!

infinite crisis is the sort of crossover that gives crossovers a bad name.

i don't think i'll ever be able to understand earth 2 or things like the jsa. :-(

Rol said...

I re-read the Secret Wars trade again recently and enjoyed it loads - though 75% of that was nostalgia. Of its time, I think it holds up pretty well.

IC was awful though. Another nail in DC's coffin AFAIC.

Mart said...

a lot of the old stuff doesn't really stand up to memory does it. i have a stack of Essentials sitting on my shelf which i find hard to read. but for some reason secret wars was still quite enjoyable.

thekelvingreen said...

Oh, I don't know, I'm loving the Essential Avengers books, albeit only from the third of fourth volume on, as I never really liked the really early stuff.

Mart said...

i have those. sitting on my shelves...