Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Cell

It’s strange, but I’m excited about reading this Stephen King book, even though I’ve read it before and was very disappointed!
When this came out in hardback last year, I was shocked on two levels - first, that I had heard that SK was retiring when he finished his Dark Tower series, and secondly, it seemed to be a back-to-basics horror novel - hurrah!
So I managed to get my hands on a review copy at work and read it, and after a cracking start, the novel goes in an unexpected and disappointing direction. I actually found myself flicking ahead 100 pages just to check something was actually going to happen (ie, someone was going to get attacked/brutalised etc).
So all in all, not one of my favourite books, but I bought it in paperback and I absolutely ADORE the cover and I’m hoping to get my teeth a bit more into the characters and the creepiness of the plot, not having to worry about where the big picture is heading.
Of course, I’m not sure if I’ll be that excited when Lisey’s Story comes out in paperback. I just borrowed that one from my library and it almost sent me into a coma.

2 comments:

JamieB said...

So..umm...basically your hands are larger than your head? That's kinda weird...Hi Mart. Good luck with the blog. And, yes, I too have oft been swayed by a good cover to return to a book I rejected in a different format. I've even gone so far as to buy the US/UK edition a book even though I already have the UK/US edition, just because I like the cover more. I even have French and Japanese editions of some of the Pullman and Rowling books, just because they look so damn good. Presentation does count for something -- the cover is the doorway to the story, and it has to make you want to go through it. Or something.

Mart said...

my hands are big because i have been drawing (and playing the flute) since an early age. like in one of those Natural World programmes, i have adapted and evolved over time.

I thought it was just me who was fussy about book covers. i hate the harry potter covers, and much prefer the 'adult versions'. i love buying american versions of SK books and showing them off on the train. and i hate hate HATE books that get made into movie adaptations, and then they put the movie poster on the cover! aaargh!