Thursday, October 9, 2008

Speaking of good comics...


I was in Forbidden Planet a year or so ago and I saw this book on the shelf... There was something about it, it just drew me to it. It was the third book of a series, and I couldn't find the first two, so I didn't buy it. Luckily my friend had heard me going on about it, so for Christmas he got me the first book... And I soon had to buy the remaining four books - it was that good.
The series was The Sentinels by New Yorker Rich Bernatovech and artist Luciano Vecchio.
If you like good old stories and charaters like Alpha Flight... y'know, good old-fashioned story-telling, then you'll love this. It's got a superb cast of characters who evolve and grow, and I really can't recommend it highly enough.
The reason I'm writing this is because I received the fifth book in the series today, direct from Rich. It's an Anthology book and it is so beautifully put together, it just knocks the socks off any competition on the shelves. For an 'indie' comic, the production values are so impressive, it's just gorgeous. Glossy colour pages!!!
And these two guys are ones to watch, believe me. I've seen some of their upcoming projects.
Rich is probably gonna be pissed off at me for saying this (and if he is I'll remove this, don't worry Rich!!) but he mentioned he wished he was a bit disappointed by the sales of the new Anthology - and personally, I think that is a travesty, it really deserves a huge audience.
So honestly, check it out - www.sentinelsonline.com - treat yourself for Christmas, you really won't regret it. If you're looking for something that gives you that old-fashioned comic-reading buzz - and personally i'm always looking for that - then give it a go...

No comments: