Sunday, November 23, 2008

Movies...


A new chum in my Japanese evening class has been doing DVD swaps with me, and I got two interesting ones this week.
First up, The Happiness of the Katakurnas (that's wrong, but I'm too lazy to get up and see what it's really called - you prob know the one I mean) which is the most bizarre movie I've ever seen, but quite amusing in places.
Second one was the director's cut of Lady Vengeance. Hmm... The whole thing about this director's cut is that the movie slowly turns into black and white - which sounds really cool, but I've gotta say, it didn't impress me that much (love the movie though). Also, one of my favourite scenes is when the families meet together in the cake shop at the end, and the warm colours in that scene are a highlight for me, it's kind of like a rebirth for them all - but it's obviously lost with the black and white. Also I think rather than just fading out the colour, they could have used a more interesting technique, like making the picture grainy. Plus of course, having it fade to white, instead of fading to black right at the end would have been a really nice touch.
On another movies note - I rejoined Lovefilm.com recently. I was in it a while ago and found it really hard to find time to watch the DVDs they sent me. But I rejoined last week - and actually found it hard to think up movies I wanted to watch!
I'm not really sure why I rejoined actually (apart from avoiding Blockbuster's rip-off prices) because I have a ton of movies I've recorded on my BT Vision, plus I've decided to re-watch the Lord of the Rings movies in the run-up to Christmas (so that's like 20 hours).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Japanese evening class? That must be one tough language to learn.

The Happiness of the Katakuris is one of the funniest things ever.

Mart said...

Heh, you know, the more I think about it, the more I keep chuckling about 'Happiness...'. Especailly the 'death' at the end - which turned out to be just a graze hehe

Yes Japanese is tough, but not impossible. And it helps that we have an amazing funny 'sensei'.